2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan lined with parchment or foil
1.Set a rack in the middle level of the oven and preheat to 450F
2. Combine the flour, sugar,baking powder,cream of tartar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is mealy but dry and powdery.
3.Invert the bowl of the food processor over a mixing bowl and carefully remove the blade
4. Quickly whisk the egg and milk together and use a fork to toss the egg mixture into the flour mixture ,continuing to toss until all the flour mixture is evenly moistened.
5. Gently knead the dough 3 to 4 times, until it is smooth. Divide the dough in half and press and pat each half into a disk about 6 inches in diameter. Place the 2 disk of dough a couple of inches aoart on the prapared pan.
6. use a floured bench scraper or knife to mark each disk of dough into 8 wedges, pressing straight down,and cutting no further than halfway into the dough disk. Sprinkle sugar on top(optional)
7. Bake the scones until they are very deep golden and firm,12 to 15 minutes.
8. Slide each disk of baked scones onto a platter and use a knife to cut them completely along the markings into wedges.