3/4 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp instant coffee powder
2 tbsp boiling water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2. In a medium bowl, beat butter or margarine and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda over egg mixture; fold in. Divide batter placing half in another bowl.
4. In a small bowl, dissolve cocoa and coffee in boiling water; stir into 1 bowl of batter. Stir vanilla into second bowl of batter.
6. Bake in preheated oven 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Place cake on a serving plate; sift powdered sugar over cake immediately before serving.