with coconut praline sauce
MAKES 12 SERVINGS
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
FOR THE BREAD PUDDING, WHISK:
3 cups whole milk
1 can coconut milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dried currants
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 loaf French bread ( 1 lb.), cut into 1-inch cubes, staled
2 tsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
FOR THE SAUCE, MELT:
1 stick unsalted butter (8tbsp)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp spiced rum or apple cider
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp table salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, tooasted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
For the bread pudding, whisk together eggs, whole milk, coconut milk, 1 cup granulated sugar,currants, and 1 tbsp vanilla in a large bowl.
Stir in bread until combined; let mixture sit at room temperature, 30-45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350*. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with 2 tsp butter. Transfer bread mixture to baking dish.
Combine 3 tbsp granulated sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon; sprinkle over bread pudding. Bake pudding until center is set, about 1 hour. Transfer dish to a cooling rack; rest 20-30 minutes before serving.
For the sauce,melt 1 stick butter with brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes.
Whisk in cream, rum, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and salt; bring to a simmer. Cook sauce until it thickens and is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 5 minutes.
Stir in pecans, coconut, 1 tsp vanilla, and lemon juice. Serve sauce warm over bread pudding.
8 ounces large shrimp (26 to 30 per pound), peeled, deveined, and tails removed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper unsalted butter
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 cup quick grits
4 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded ( 1 cup)
1 scallion, sliced thin
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 *. Toss shrimp with oil, garlic, and cayenne in bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate while preparing grits.
- Melt butter in 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in water, cream, hot sauce, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper and bring to boil. Slowly whisk in grits, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring often, until grits are thick and creamy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in cheddar until combined. Lay shrimp on their sides in pinwheel forma over grits, then press on them lightly to submerge them about halfway. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until shrimp are opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with scallion before serving.
14 ounces medium-firm or soft tofu
2 tsp plus 3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Asian chili garlic sauce
1/4 cup cornmeal
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup Vegetables oil
- Line baking sheet with triple layer of paper towels. Slice tofu crosswise into 1-inch slabs, then slice each slab in half lengthwise. Spread tofu on prepared sheet and let drain for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tsp cornstarch, water,vinegar, sugar, and chili garlic sauce together in small saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium high heat and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Combine cornmeal and remaining 3/4 cup cornstarch in shallow dish. Gently pat tofu dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Working with a few pieces at a time, coat tofu throughly with cornstarch mixture, pressing gently to adhere, then transfer to prepared rack. Line large plate with triple layer of paper towels. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Carefully lay tofu in skillet and cook until golden brown and crsipy on all sides, about 4 minutes, turning tofu as needed. Drain tofu briefly on prepared plate. Season with salt to taste. Serve with sauce.
PREP: 40 min+ chilling
BAKE: 55 minutes
MAKES: 12 serving ( 3/4 cup each)
5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
1 pkg ( 8 oz.) reduced- fat cream cheese, cubed
2 large egg whites, beaten
1 cup ( 8 oz) reduced fat sour cream
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp butter, melted
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes with cream cheese. Combine the egg whites, sour cream, onion powder, salt and pepper; stir into potatoes until blended. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350*. Cover and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160*.
TAKES: 15 min
3 oz. cream cheese , softened
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarilla cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp. seasoned salt
10 slices Italian bread ( 1/2 in. thick)
2 tbsp. butter, softened
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth, Stir in the cheeses, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Spread five slices of bread with the cheese mixture, about 1/3 cup on each. Top with the remaining bread.
- Butter the outsides of the sandwiches In a skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
TAKES: 10 min
MAKES: 3 cups
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped green or sweet red pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
8 hard-cooked large eggs, chopped
In a bowl, mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in green pepper, celery, relish and parsley. Fold in eggs. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.