GRILLED CHICKEN TANDOORI
Plain yogurt is the base for the chicken marinade and keeps the meat moist and tender.
Marinate the chicken for a day or two in the fridge for the most flavorful results.
Chipotle powder, not typically used in tandoori rcipes, adds a welcome touch of heat
and smokiness. For a well- rounded meal, serve the chicken with grilled peppers and onions
and steamed basmati rice.
4 lb bone- in, skinless chicken parts, rinsed and patted dry
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp chipotle powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for the grill
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
Put the chicken in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt, with the tomato paste
ginger, garlic, curry powder, chipotle powder,1 1/2tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Toss
with the chicken.Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days, or let sit at room temperature
while the grill heats.
Prepare a medium charcoal or gas grill fire. Clean and oil the grill grates. Grill the
chicken, covered, until it has good gill marks, aboutd 5 minutes. Turn and continue
cooking until the chicken is browned all over and cooked through (make a nick in a couple
of the thicker pieces wit a paring knife), about 15 to 20 minutes total. Set on a platter
, sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve with the lime wedges for squeezing.
ISLAND-SPICED, PINEAPPLE GLAZED GRILLED CHICKEN BREASTS
Here’s a twist on tradional American barbecued chicken.
The seasoning is a rub similar to Jamaica’s jerk, and the “sauce” is a rum and pineapple glaze.
FOR THE RUB AND CHICKEN
1 tbsp packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves( 6 to 8 oz. each), trimmed, rinsed, and patted dry
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for the grill
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 scallions (white and green parts), minced
FOR THE PINEAPPLE SAUCE
1/4 cup salted butter
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cu dark rum
1/4 cup pineapple juice
MAKE THE RUB AND PREPARE THE CHICKEN
Combine the brown sugar, salt, coriander, pepper ,thyme, onion powder, alspice, cinnamon and cayenne
in a small bowl and stir to mix. Set the breasts in a baking dish and drizzle with the oil rubbing
it over the meat on both sides. Sprinkle the rub, garlic, and scallions on both sides of the chicken,
patting the seasonings into the meat with your fingers. Refrigerate for one hour while you make the glazed
and prepare the grill.
MAKE THE GLAZE
Combine the butter, brown sugar, rum, and pineapple juice in a heavy saucepan. Boil until syrupy, 7 to 10 minutes
over medium- high heat. Don’t worry if the mixtures starts t
separate. Whisk it vigorously to combine.
GRILL THE CHICKEN
Heat a gas grill to high or prepare a hot chrcoal fire.Scrub and oil the grill grate.
Arrange the chicken breasts on the grill at a 45- degree angle to the bars of the grate. Grill until the
chicken has grill marks, about 2 minutes, and then rotate the breasts 90 degrees (to get the crosshatch of
grill marks) and continue grilling for 2 to 4 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts and generously brush the cooked
tops with glaze.
Cook the second side the same way, for 4 to 6 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts again, brush with the glaze
, and grill until the breasts are firm to the touch, another 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the breasts to a platter.
Serve at once, drizzled with any remaining glaze.
SERVES 4 TO 6
1 1/2 cups prewashed white quinoa
2 1/4 cups water
Salt and pepper
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup minced fresh mint
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp minced fresh oregano or 1 1/2 tsp dried
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tomatoes, cored,seeded, and cut into 1/4- inch pieces
1 shallot, minced
1/4 cup pitted black olives,chopped
2 head Bibb lettuce (1 pound), leaves separated
1.Toast quinoa in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until quinoa is very fragrant and makes continuous popping sound, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in water and 1/2 tsp salt; bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until most of water has been absorbed and quinoa is nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Spread quinoa out over rimmed baking sheet and let cool for 20 minutes; transfer to large bowl.
2.Meanwhile,process feta,,yogurt, mint, vinegar, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in blender until smooth, about 15 seconds. With blender running, slowly add oil until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
3. Add tomatoes, cucumber, shallot, olives, and 2/3 cup feta dressing to cooled quinoa and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon quinoa mixture into lettuce leaves (about 1/3 cup each), drizzle with remaining dressing and serve.
1 cup orange juice (2 oranges)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp honey
2 garlic cloves,minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1 cup wheat berries
Salt and pepper
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas,rinsed
1/2 cup jarred cheese,crumbled (1/2 cup)
8 ounces (8 cups) baby arugula
1.FOR THE DRESSING: Bring orange juice to simmer in small saucepan over medium and cook until juice is syrupy and reduced to 1/3 cup, 12 to 15 minutes.
2.Transfer orange syrup to small bowl and refrigerate until cool, about 10 minutes. Whisk in cilantro, lime juice, water, oil, honey, garlic, cumin ,salt,paprika, and cayenne pepper and set aside.
3.FOR THE SALAD : Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add wheat berries and 1/2 tsp salt, partially cover, and cook, stirring often, until tender but still chewy, about 1 hour. Drain wheat berries and rinse under cold running water until cool. Transfer wheat berries to large bowl and stir in chickpeas, red pepers, feta,and half of dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Toss arugula and remaining dressing in second bowl, then divide evenly among individual plates. Spoon 1 cup wheat berry mixture on top of each salad and serve.
- 1 pound rotini
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves,minced
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cucumber,peeled halved lengthwise,seeded, and sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper,stemmed,seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup extra- virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives,quartered
- ‘1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 scallions,sliced thin
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add pasta and 1 tbsp salt and cook, stirring often, until tender. Drain pasta, rinse with cold water, and drain again, leaving pasta slightly wet.
- Meanwhile, process diced tomatoes, basil, vinegar, garlic,pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp salt in blender until smooth.
- Toss sauce, pasta, cucumber, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and oil in large bowl to combine. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Before serving stir in feta,olives,parsley, and scallions. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves,minced
2 cups couscous
1 cup water
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper
1 cup sliced almonds,toasted
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 scallions,sliced thin
3 tbsp lemon juice
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium high heat.Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add couscous and cook, stirring frequently, until grains begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, broth, and 1 tsp salt; stir briefly to combine, then cover and remove pan from heat. Let stand until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 7 minutes. Uncover and fluff couscous with fork.
- Whisk almonds, oil, parsley, scallions, and lemon juice together in large bowl. Stir in couscous until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve